20 August 2014, Garowe – The Government of Puntland State of Somalia and members of the Federal Parliament of Somalia held consultation meetings regarding the suspension of relations between Puntland and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and the causal reasons. After detailed discussions the following was agreed:
1. The Government of Puntland and the honorable members of the federal parliament agreed that the concerns and grievances of Puntland against the Federal Government of Somalia do exist and with factual evidence.
2. Honorable members of the federal parliament requested from the Government of Puntland an opportunity for talks between the FGS and Puntland within a period of 30 days, beginning 20th of August 2014.
3. The Government of Puntland accepted the request of the honorable members of the federal parliament. However, give the FGS failure to honor and implement previous agreements the Government of Puntland set the condition for international presence at the talks.
4. If the attempted talks fail and Puntland concerns and grievances are not addressed by the Federal Government of Somalia, the government of Puntland will take the next appropriate steps according to the Puntland Constitution.
5. Lastly, the Government of Puntland and honorable members of the federal parliament agreed that the Central Regions Agreement signed on the 30th of July, 2014 in Mogadishu, declaring the intent to form a federal state out of Mudug and Galgaduud regions violates the Puntland constitution and the Provisional Federal Constitution and could lead to further instability and civil conflict in the country.
Leave a Reply